Navigation Bar

Mrs. Baker's Dozen Image Map
















Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Building Back To School: Reading Tools!

Happy back to school, everyone!  I am kicking back right now, enjoying some 'chair' time.  Is it just me or is SITTING DOWN just not happening in the first few days of school???  Actually, it's like that  for most of the year....BUT especially bad at the beginning! 




I'm so excited to join my sweet friend Denise for Building Back To School!  Congrats to her family on welcoming a beautiful baby girl this week!  


I love creating Close Reading units in my spare time and testing them out in my classroom.  Here's a few tips from my Complete Core units that contain lesson plans and resources for a weeklong close reading unit.


1. Share reading editing strategies.  I use: Circle words you don't know, highlight important information, and underline key words.

2. Discuss the topic before hand to gather what we know.  I feel like this warms up the students before their first cold read.

3. Although my close reading units are informational text, I always include a fun fictional mini book.  Balance is good :)


I'm giving away a copy of your choice of my Complete Core units! Here are a few I've creating recently.







Leave a comment below with your email and I will chose a winner later this week!  If you'd like to take a closer look at the units, just click on the pictures and it will take you to my TPT store.  


Enjoy your week!!

3 comments:

  1. Hii!! Thanks so much for the shout out to our little family & new addition! I feel so loved. <3

    I LOVE your units! What a great resources for teachers!! I'll definitely have to share this with my readers. :)

    Denise Hill, #TeacherMom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have one of your units!
    lraines78 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of your units would be appreciated by my struggling learners. eaglepride1984@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete