Navigation Bar

Mrs. Baker's Dozen Image Map
















Saturday, May 16, 2015

Five For Fraturday! Phonics + WBT = Happy Kids!


Happy Saturday to me!  And I say that because I am celebrating the first weekend of summer vacation!!  I am soooo needing a mental break from school, but I still can't help thinking about a few things I want to work on over the summer. :) Teacher problems....

I love my ELA block because we always start with some phonics fun, Whole Brain Teaching style!  I fell in love with WBT last year and now I include many strategies in all subject areas!  I started using the Scoreboard, Mighty Oh Yeahs, and the Super Improver Wall and never looked back. :)


I had a sweet para record me while we had our phonics voices and gestures of the day.  (Please excuse the lounge wear, it was garden planting day!)  I use Kristen Smith's Phonics Mastery and absolutely love her phonics gestures.  This works perfectly with WBT methods!  Now my class and I have tweaked  a few to our own tastes, but most are from her pack.  


I always begin with "hands and eyes" to make sure all eyes are on me and hands are quiet.  Then I give a "mirror check" as a warm up.  Kids love this!  And after we learn a new phonics sound/gesture, I always ask a student to come up and model for the class.  They love to give the mirror check to the others.  Who doesn't like being bossy once in awhile? :)
Here's a quick clip of how we start our daily phonics, WBT style!


video




Here's another clip of more phonics sounds.



video




My Mother's Day weekend was spent running these two darlings around :)  Love my girls!!






I don't know about you, but the last two weeks of school are tough.  I mean TOUGH!  Sometimes the classroom rules go right out the door and you have to have a plan, a yummy plan. :)  Our bribe, I mean, incentive to finish the year off right, was an ice cream party where you earn your toppings.  It was totally worth it. 




I used my Superstar Student Awards and Medals last week and it was a total success!  Parents came to see their kids on the first grade 'red carpet' and don their medals for all to see!  You can take a peek at the pack here.




Just a pic of my fav softball player + coach ;)  xoxoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment